CSS Scholarship, also known as the Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for College and University Students, is an initiative introduced in 2008 by the Ministry of Higher Education, Government of India. The primary goal of this scheme is to offer financial aid to students from low-income families, particularly those with an annual family income of less than Rs. 4.5 lakh. Central Sector Scholarship 2023 is open only to students who got 80th percentile in the Class XII board examination. A total of 82,000 scholarships (41,000 for boys and an equal number for girls) are distributed among students every year.
Central Sector Scholarship 2023-24 is awarded to students on the basis of their academic performance in class XII examination. Selected students are awarded Rs 12,000 per annum at the undergraduate level (first 3 years) and Rs 20,000 per annum at the postgraduate level. For the session 2023-24, Online applications are invited for Central Sector Scholarships. Applicants can apply online through the National Scholarship Portal (NSP) from 3rd October 2023 till 31st December 2023.
Central Sector Scholarship 2023
The Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship (CSS) for college and university students is a Government of India (GoI) sponsored scheme or yojana under the direct control of Ministry of Education which has been functional since 2008. The main aim of this scheme is to encourage meritorious students, within the age group of 18-25 years, to pursue higher education at various institutes across India. Students who lack even the basic amenities in their day to day life are mainly covered under this scheme. To avail Central Sector Scholarship (CSSS scheme) the annual family income of a student must not exceed 4.5 lakh per annum.
This scheme provides 82,000 fresh scholarships each year to graduate or post-graduate students in a ratio of 1:1 to boys and girls respectively across the Nation. These 82,000 slots are distributed to the Educational Boards Or Councils based on the population of that State. The slots are further sub-divided into a ratio of 3:3:1 amongst science, humanities, and commerce streams respectively. Mere application does not guarantee to avail the scholarship. A candidate must have crossed the restriction of 80th percentile in class 12, plus should be pursuing a regular course and has not applied for any other State or Central government-sponsored scholarships. The amount of this scholarship ranges from Rs.12,000 to 20,000 per annum for general degree or professional courses.
Overview of NSP Central Sector Scholarship 2023
|Name of Scholarship||Central Sector Scholarship Scheme|
|Offred by||Ministry of Higher Education, Govt of India|
|Name of Yojana||Pradhan Mantri Uchchatar Shiksha Protsahan Yojana (PM USP)|
|Amount||₹12,000 to ₹20,000 per annum|
|Mode of application||Online|
|Last date||31st December 2023|
|Where to apply||https://scholarships.gov.in|
Eligibility for Central Sector Scholarship Scheme 2023-24
- Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship Only for College and University (graduate or post-graduate) Students.
- Applicants must have crossed the restriction of 80th percentile in Class XII or equivalent examination.
- Students must be enrolled in a college or university recognized by AICTE, UGC, MCI, DCI, or the respective regulatory body.
- This scholarship is open to students who are enrolled in full-time degree courses.
- SC, ST, OBC, and PWD applicants will be given additional relaxation of 15%, 7.5%, 27%, and 5% respectively.
- The annual income of applicant’s parents/family should be Rs.4.50 lakhs or less.
- For renewal application applicants must secure a minimum of 50% marks in the previous annual examination and also maintain 75% attendance.
- Students who have enrolled in diploma courses or Open University as well as distance mode courses are not eligible for the scholarship.
- Students who have previously applied for any other state-sponsored scholarship will not be eligible for this scholarship.
Central Sector Scholarship 2023 Online
- The online application for the Central Sector Scholarship Scheme is currently open.
- Fresh and renewal applications for the 2023-24 session began on October 3, 2023.
- You can apply for the Central Sector Scheme of Scholarships for College and University Students for the academic year 2023-24 By accessing the National Scholarship Portal (NSP).
We’ve covered how to register, log in, and apply for a fresh/renewal application in detail below.
Central Sector Scholarship 2023 – Registration
- Step 1: Go to the National Scholarship Portal, or visit the URL www.scholarships.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on New Registration under the Applicant Corner menu.
- Step 3: Read all instructions/guidelines, scroll down the page; check on I Agree, and then click the Continue button.
- Step 4: Enter your mobile number, click on the Get OTP button, type the OTP and CAPTCHA code, and click on the Verify button.
- Step 5: Choose I have Aadhaar/I have EID/I don’t have Aadhar or EID, enter your Aadhaar number, type captcha code, and OTP, then click on the Verify button.
- Step 6: Wait for the Aadhar details to be fetched, and fill the registration form once it opens.
- Step 7: Select the scholarship type, scholarship category, state of domicile, enter your father/mother’s name, email ID, and captcha code; then click on the Register button.
Note: After successful registration, you will be provided with an Application ID/Registration Number, kindly note it down.
CSS Scholarship Login and Fill Application Form
To fill the application form for Central Sector Scholarship Scheme 2023 (CSS) you need to login using your Application ID and Password (which will be sent to your registered mobile number). Once you’ve logged in, you’ll need to update your password. Follow the steps below to complete the online application form.
- Visit the NSP Scholarship Portal (scholarships.gov.in).
- Click on Fresh/Renewal Application under Application Submission for AY 2023-24.
- Enter Application ID, Password and Captcha code then click Login; Then enter the 5-digit OTP. Update the password, then select the Application Form option.
- Fill the application form; Provide general information such as Religion, Community/Category, Father/Mother Name, Annual Family Income, etc.
- Enter academic details such as select your institute, institute state/district, current class/course, current year, mode of study, university name, previous course, class 12th/10th roll number, board name, year of passing, and marks obtained.
- Enter other details such as, are you orphan (yes/no), parent’s name, disability (yes/no), marital status, parent occupation, bank account details and IFSC code, etc., then click on the Save and Continue button.
- Provide contact details like State, Home District, Block/Taluk, House Number/Street Number, and Pin Code, etc.
- Select Central Sector Scholarship from Scheme Details (if not selected).
- Upload documents such as Domicile Certificate, Photo, Previous Academic Marksheet, Fee Receipt, Income Certificate, Bank Account Passbook, Bonafide Certificate, etc.
- Re-verify all the information provided by you, then click on the final submit button.
A total of 82,000 fresh scholarships are awarded annually under the Central Sector Scholarship scheme. Students who are currently pursuing undergraduate courses are given a financial grant of Rs.12,000 per annum and those pursuing post-graduation courses are given a financial grant of Rs.20,000 per annum. Students pursuing a professional or integrated course, on the other hand, will receive Rs.12,000 for the first 3 years and Rs.20,000 for the 4th and 5th years. Central Sector Scholarship Amount is disbursed to the beneficiary’s bank account through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) mode.
When applying online, you must have the following documents with you.
- Bank Passbook
- Aadhar Card Number
- Family income proof
- Caste Certificate
- Disability Certificate
- Class 12 mark sheet
- Fee Structure
Links for Scholarship
|Official website||NSP Portal|
|Central Sector Scholarship Apply||Registration|
|CSS Scholarship application Login||Fresh | Renewal|
|Our Home Page||AGC NEST|
Central Sector Scholarship 2023 – FAQs
Those who have exceeded the 80th percentile in the class 12 examination and have a family income of Rs 4.5 lakh or less.
The last date for online application is 31st December 2023.
Undergraduate students would receive Rs 12,000 per annum for 3 years.