The Honorable Prime Minister of India introduced the Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme (PMSS) for Railway Protection Force (RPF) on August 15, 2005, during his speech to the nation from the iconic Red Ford. The program is run by the National Defence Fund. The program for Prime Minister Scholarships was launched for Railway Protection Force (RPF) in the academic year 2008–09. It was created to support dependant wards of ex- or current RPF/RPSF personnel as well as widows, providing them with higher technical and professional education (below the Rank of Gazetted officer).
- Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme for RPF/RPSF 2023-24
- Courses under Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme
- Eligibility Criteria for Prime Minister’s Scholarship for RPF 2023-24
- How to apply for Prime Minister’s Scholarship for RPF/RPSF?
- Amount of Scholarship
- Selection Criteria
- Documents Needed for PMSS Scholarship for RPF
- Last Date for PMSS Scholarship for RPF/RPSF
Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme for RPF/RPSF 2023-24
The Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme, or PMSS Scholarship, was established in 2008-09 by the Hon’ble Prime Ministers of India to encourage further technical and professional education. To be eligible applicants must be dependant wards of an Ex/Serving RPF/RPSF. 150 students in total (from the 2015–16 academic year) have been designated as RPF participants for a semester. 75% percent of the scholarships are designated for female candidates. If applicants (boys or girls) are not selected to make up the shortfall in new cases, less than 75 are accessible. Additionally, it states that unallocated quotas for any gender cannot be applied to other categories (boys or girls).
|Name of Scholarship
|Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme for RPF/RPSF
|Year launched in
|60% in 10+2/ Diploma/Graduation
|Amount of Scholarship
|Rs.3,000/month for female students
Rs.2,500/month for male students
|Mode of Fund transfer
|Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT)
|Last date of application
|January 15, 2024
|Mode of Application
Courses under Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme
Accredited professional degree programs such as BE, B.Tech, BDS, MBBS, BEd, BBS, BCA, MCA, B.Pharma, etc. that have been duly approved by federal regulatory bodies. Universities Grants Commission (UGC), the National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE), the India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), the Medical Council of India (MCI), and others (Master’s degree programs are not eligible for PMSS Scholarship, with the exception of MBA and MCA). International students are not eligible for this program. Under this plan, no distance learning course is allowed. PMSS is only available for a single course.
Eligibility Criteria for Prime Minister’s Scholarship for RPF 2023-24
Applicants must meet the following requirements to be eligible for the Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme for RPF/RPSF 2023-24.
- An applicant must be a dependent ward of a widow or former RPF/RPSF personnel.
- An applicant needs to be enrolled in a regular professional or technical degree program at a university approved by government regulatory bodies like the National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE), University Grants Commission (UGC), Medical Council of India (MCI), All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), B.Pharma, B.Ed, BBS, BCA, MCA, etc. (Note: Only colleges, universities, and institutes covered by the All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) rule are eligible.)
- The candidate must have cleared the Class 12/diploma or graduating program with a minimum educational qualification (MEQ) of 60% or above.
- Only two wards per family are eligible for the scholarship, and the beneficiaries and it should be ensured by the beneficiaries as well as by the concerned Zonal Railways/RPSF.
- Students pursuing distance learning course aren’t eligible.
- Except for MBA and MCA, Master’s Degree Courses are not eligible.
How to apply for Prime Minister’s Scholarship for RPF/RPSF?
- Go to National Scholarship portal: www.scholarships.gov.in.
- Select the ‘ New Register’ option and enter the necessary registration information. If you have already registered, please sign in using your Application ID, and Password.
- Next, proceed to ‘Applicant Corner’ and select the ‘Fresh Application’ link.
- Carefully review the information, select the checkbox, and press the “Continue” button.
- To finish the application procedure, fill all the necessary information and click “Save & Continue.”
- Complete the application by filling up the required information.
- Upload scanned documents.
- Finally, click on Submit button.
Amount of Scholarship
For female applicants, the scholarship offers financial assistance of INR 3,000 per month; for boys, it offers financial aid of INR 2,500 per month. Scholarships are available as long as the course is in session or for a maximum period of five years, whichever comes first.
The individuals who meet the eligibility requirements will only be chosen. In the event that more applications are received than scholarships are available, the following will be the order of preference for scholarship distribution:
|Wards/widows of former RPF/RPSF troops who passed away while in harness from illnesses linked to interactions with terrorists or criminals while defending railroad property, customers, and passenger areas, or those who passed away while performing election-related duties
|Survivors of former RPF/RPSF employees who passed away while they were on duty.
|Wards of retired or former members of the RPF/RPSF
|Wards of active members of the RPF/RPSF
Documents Needed for PMSS Scholarship for RPF
Applicants are required to upload scanned copies of the following documents mentioned below.
- Service Certificate issued by respective offices of the serving personnel for Category IV
- Aadhar Card
- Scanned copy of Bank passbook
- Mark sheet of 10+2/ Diploma/ Graduation
- PPO/Discharge certificate/book for Categories I, II and III
Last Date for PMSS Scholarship for RPF/RPSF
Last date for Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme for RPF/RPSF under National Scholarship Portal is 15th January 2024. Deadline for Institute Verification is 26th February 22024.